Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Go Buy John Farnam's New BOOK!

SG-featured trainer John Farnam graciously sent me an autographed copy of his new book, GUNS & WARRIORS, basically a collection of his Quips that appear regularly on his Defense Training International website.

In truth, I thought I'd just flip through it for a minute, then set it aside until I had a little more time. I ended up spending a couple of hours with the book, pouring over John's thoughts and keen analysis of the many incidences in his own and his students' lives.

Here's just an example, the "lessons learned" from one of his student's observations of a violent encounter:
• It's always a "come-as-you-are" war. Violent threats to your life never happen when you are "ready."
• "Chance favors the prepared mind." Even though the woman [in the incident] was unarmed, she did what she could, immediately.
• "Who hesitates is lost (dead)."
• Extending the distance is nearly always tactically sound.
• It's hard to someone who is running like hell!
Yeah, you say, common sense...I refer you to your local newspaper as to how "common" Mr. Farnam's sense is!

Unlike a lot of the "new wave" of firearms trainers, John Farnam has walked his talk for decades and is one of the most knowledgeable observers out there.

I don't agree with everything he teaches, but hell, I don't agree totally with what anyone teaches. But if I was going to pick a trainer because I absolutely positively knew my life was in danger, John would be on the very short list of instructors I'd trust.

Go buy the book, read it, then start living the advice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have taken three of John's classes. He changes his views as new information becomes available. His way is simple yet hard. His qual is short (7 rounds) but demanding. Tests all skills in short order. No dithering allowed. Regards

Anonymous said...

The Shooting Gallery show with John Farnam has to be one of my all time favorites (right up there with the full auto pistol shows).

What was the line? - "1/4 inch out of battery and you might as well be holding a brick" - something to that effect.

I'll look forward to reading the book !