Monday, June 04, 2007

How Do You Satirize a Joke?

Send me your warning siren
As if I could ever hide
Last time la luna,
I light my torch and wave it for the...

New moon on Monday
And a firedance through the night
I stayed the cold day with a lonely satellite

Duran Duran
"New Moon on Monday"


Paris "Butch" Hilton's in the slam; Silvio Dante's in the hospital and not expected to regain consciousness; a South Carolina woman was attacked by a shark in less than two feet of water; Russia is morphing back into, well, Russia; jhadists are trying to blow up the airport I'm flying into next week while the Dems debate whether the War on Terror is one man's paranoia, a conservative conspiracy or a treatable mental disoirder; Al Gore just won't go away!

Me, ah hell, I'm lighting my torch and waiting for a new moon on Monday...at least until the Tribe speaks and snuffs out said torch...

It's been 40 years since the Summer of Love...contrary to what you may have heard, I wasn't there. I did have a paisley shirt, however, and did make the second Atlanta International Pop Festival in 1970...a lot ot be said for "free love" in a world before lethal STDs! Anyhow, here's an LA Times story on how old hippies in San Fran hate new hippies in San Fran, for pretty jmuch the same reasons that "straights" hated the first go-round hippies:
Sometimes aggressive, they block sidewalks as they strum guitars or bang on bongos. Gangs of them skateboard down the middle of Haight Street. Some throw used hypodermic needles into a nearby pond they call Hep-C Lake.

Evans, 64, says they should get help, clean up or go home.

"I used to be a hippie. I wore beads and grew my hair long," he said. "But my generation had something these kids do not: a standard of civilized behavior."
When you finish that article, here's another one applying game theory (Warning! Math forumulas abound!) to the pressing question of whether the toilet seat gets left up or down:
For “mankind”, the analysis in this paper has the following appeal: Once again, it has been found that the social norm of leaving the toilet seat down is inefficient; hence, “mankind” may feel vindicated.

For “womankind”, the analysis in this paper is appealing for the following reason: It has been shown that the social norm of leaving the seat down is a trembling-hand perfect equilibrium. Hence, this norm is not likely to go away, at least in the near future.
Watch for this plot next season on NUMB3RS, where the FBI, along with Islamic sidekicks spouting the Koran, races to foil an exploding toilet seat plot fomented by Christian NRA members who have problems with fractions!

Excuse me for a few minutes...I've got to go pretend to be a television producer...maybe I'll iTune the best of Duran Duran...maybe not...

2 comments:

Not Available said...

40 years, has it been that long? I missed out on that event/cycle/period also. So, in my early fifties decided to rebel and grew my hair and after 3 years had it down to my belt. Reason returned and I now sport a high-n-tight. My son and I look alike again.

Anonymous said...

" So, in my early fifties decided to rebel and grew my hair and after 3 years had it down to my belt"

Heck in my ealy fifties I just like to grow ANY hair ;)