Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday Musings...

…which is hard, considering that contractors are working outside the Secret Hidden Bunker II and today is all power tools, all the time. Newt is not happy. Arf!


I spent yesterday filming public service announcements on gun safety…not hard work, but sort of a grinder. When I got home I saw a notice that .458 SOCOM brass was available. I took this as an omen. Bill Wilson and I had been talking about the .458 when I was in Berryville…it's pretty much his favorite hog hunting setup (with .300-gr Barnes bullets). II have a .458 upper, and we did some shooting with it a couple of years ago for SHOOTING GALLERY. But that came at the very beginning of the Great Ammo Crisis, and specialty rounds like the .458 SOCOM simply vanished from the market. I hung onto the upper, with visions of a future hog hunt dancing in my head.

So Bill got me thinking about the .458 again, but to my dismay I discovered that the situation hasn't gotten a lot better.

Wilson, SBR and Corbon make finished ammo, but it's only sporadically available. Starline manufactures the brass, but it's pretty much all spoken for as soon as it hits the market. So a jumped at a couple of hundred rounds of brass. I hand't actually shopped for reloading supplies in a while — I bought in bulk for the calibers I regularly reload, so I've been in good shape. I did a tour of the reloading supply sellers and was surprised at how spotty stuff is, especially powders. Most of what I consider the most common powders — Bullseye, Unique, 2400, Titegroup, Trail Boss — are gone baby gone, at least for a while.

I wanted some Reloader 7, and it's just not to be had at any price. This morning I'm going to inventory components and see if I have any IMR-4198, which is available in 8-pound sizes and some large pistol magnum primers. I know I used to have 4198 for 45-70, but I haven't loaded that caliber in a long time. I've got .458 bullets lying around, I know.

On the reloading front, I do need to set up a machine for 9mm, since we'll be shooting substantially more of that throughout the rest of the year. I used to load a lot of 9mm, so it'll be no big deal (famous last words).

Interesting that antigun shill B. Todd Jones is leaving BATFE after failing to successful ban all rifle ammunition. I guess B-Ho don't like failure. I suppose that we're going to have to spin up the same "write your Congressperson" campaign to get the Senate to stonewall the next antigun shill HUSSEIN Obama drags out from under a rock.

8 comments:

nj larry said...

Your 458 SOCOM story I suggest, illustrates that the BATF bullet ban is an effective strategy for the anti's. They could drive all sorts of firearms into safe queens if the ammo dries up. Wonder if the Kopel's and Gura's are working on any legal responses tying ammo to the 2A/Heller ? The power of the State to work at the edges is enormous. What for instance is not spoken much about is from NY. Talk to New Yorkers. They may be resisting the NYS Safe Act by not registering their ARs or making cosmetic changes to the pistol grip and hiding +10 rd mags. But show up with an AR even changed at a public range ? Nope. Folks don't want a confrontation with law enforcement and ruining their lives. So the AR goes into the back of the safe. Most NYers just waiting the legal battle out.

Anonymous said...

reloading components spotty?
Mich where have you been for the past 3.75 years?

Anonymous said...

nj larry,

Are the New Yorkers "just waiting the legal battle out", or are they waiting for someone else to fight their battle? They keep electing these Marxists, or at least allowing them to be elected. I see the other New England states the same way. They keep electing the very people that are putting the Constitution in jeopardy, probably because the freebies they're promised taste so good. "Behave yourselves and we'll see that you get an extra bowl of rice".

Life Member

Michael Bane said...

I know they've been spotty for ages, but about 8 months ago I bought handgun powder/primers and had not a bit of trouble…even found Unique discounted!

mb

nj larry said...

@Life
I certainly undrrstand the sentiment. IMHO the fight in the NE is lost. Yes the commies get elected. And there is a reason for that. There are more commie sympathizers in the NE than patriots. Period. It is a pure numbers game and we do not have the numbers. No one expects others to fight the fight. Across NY, NJ, CT we hold rallies, petition our rulers, and contribute dearly earned dollars to the organiztions in court battling in the legal system. (The NY guys say it has cost a million dollars so far to fight Cuomo 's SAFE act. And it isnt finished yet) . Again IMHO this will be a generational fight. Taking decades to win. Maybe. There are no guarantees. We may never get to exercise our rights w/o prison hanging over our heads. But there are little glimpses of hope. Bielieve it or not I have seen some articles about youngins called Hipsters getting fond of hunting for food. Also the ccw on campus mvmt is hopeful. So in the long run it may be the rebellious youth who pull this part of the country out of the fire. But then wasn't it guys like Jefferson who lead the revolt as a young man? A guy named Travis who fought the good fight?

Pray for us.

DamDoc said...

Not all New England.. Maine has a pro-gun R governor, and constitutional carry bill in the legislature with 100 supporters in the house and senate...

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

United we stand! Divided, we fall!

Life Member

JohninMd.(HELP?!??) said...

Try finding primers here in the People's Dem. Rep. of Md. Can't FIND a thousand count brick retail for love nor money......maybe 100, 200 at a time. New state regs, I'm told courtesy of the Lepracuan O'Malley......